Sneakily delicious dishes that bring all the omnivores to the yard! Look for the cookbook in 2010!

Monday, February 1, 2010

General Tao's Tofu

General Tao's Tofu

Recently I've been discovering the wonder that is VegWeb.com. Previously I was wary of the site, being that all the recipes are user-submitted {and I remember a particularly horrendous mushroom pate that a friend made using a recipe from that site. It included dried stuffing mix...} However, I discovered upon further investigation that each recipe has a user rating, as well as comments and pictures that can give you a pretty accurate idea of how the recipe is going to turn out before you make it.

The most popular recipe on the site, hands down, is General Tao's Tofu. Naturally, it was the first one I tried. As I was making it, I noticed a few things that could use a few tweaking {and some serious re-writing, for clarity}. Here is the recipe, re-written and including my tweaks.

General Tao's Tofu
Serves 4

16 oz container extra firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cut into cubes
flour, in a shallow dish
2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for frying
4 chopped green onions
1.5 tbsp minced ginger
1.5 tbsp minced garlic
1 cup vegetable stock
3 tbsp soy sauce
6 tbsp sugar
a pinch of red pepper flakes {to taste}
1.5 tbsp white wine vinegar
1.5 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 tbsp cold water
1 lb broccoli, steamed

1. Heat a thin layer of vegetable oil in a large pan until hot but not smoking. Coat the tofu in the flour. Transfer the tofu to the pan and fry until golden brown on all sides. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp additional oil in a separate pan over medium high heat. Add green onions, ginger, and garlic, and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, until tender. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Stir in the vegetable stock, soy sauce, sugar, red pepper flakes, and vinegar. Whisk in the cornstarch and water mixture, and cook the sauce for several minutes, stirring often, until bubbling and thick.

3. Add the fried tofu and steamed broccoli to the sauce, tossing lightly to coat. Serve over your choice of rice.

If you like, you can leave the broccoli separate and serve it on the side.

6 comments:

  1. Sweet! I've been meaning to make this, will totally make with your tweaks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit...tofu is something I still avoid as the main highlight of a dish...but you've convinced me...I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this recipe last night. I followed your instructions exactly. I was a little nervous because I've never cooked tofu before, but it turned out delicious! The tofu wasn't as crispy as I would have liked, but the sauce was absolutely delicous. Super easy, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried this recipe (with onions added) and it is hands down the best tofu dish I've ever made. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister sent me this recipe, and I just tried it tonight. My hubby and I are in love with it! The sauce was so good, and the broccoli really soaks it up to make each bite delicious!

    ReplyDelete