Sneakily delicious dishes that bring all the omnivores to the yard! Look for the cookbook in 2010!

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Roasted Radishes and Broccoli



I am a major proponent of roasting vegetables. The caramelization that happens during the process of roasting brings out all the inherent sweetness in the vegetables, without adding much extra fat.

I was in the grocery store one day, looking at the radishes and thinking "Radishes, you are the stupidest vegetable ever. What are you good for?" As I picked up some broccoli {my favorite vegetable to roast}, it dawned on me...maybe radishes would improve if I roasted them! I grabbed a couple of bundles, and went home to try my experiment.

I preheated the oven to 400F, tossed the radishes and broccoli in a drizzle of olive oil and a few grinds of pepper and salt, spread them out on the pan, and roasted them until they were starting to caramelize and brown on the outside {about 20 - 30 minutes, stirring several times throughout}.

The resulting radishes were nutty and full of a mild, sweet flavor. Alas I had finally found a use for that pesky no-good vegetable!

A word of slight warning: the texture is not what you might expect. In the roasting process, the radishes lose all of their denseness, and the result is an internal texture that is a touch on the mushy side. The Ninjahusband found it kind of weird, but I didn't mind it at all.

Give roasting a try...try it with any vegetable! I bet you'd be hard-pressed to find something that was not improved by a little olive oil and salt and a brief stay in your oven.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I haven't roasted many varieties of vegetables, but every time I try it with something new I am pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm. i will try it!

    radishes are also good along side mexican dishes, and my favorite way to eat them is in romanian style tomato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try cutting radishes up like you would potatoes for frying. Add bell peppers and onions and bits of bacon and fry. Taste just like potatoes hash.

    ReplyDelete