Sneakily delicious dishes that bring all the omnivores to the yard! Look for the cookbook in 2010!

Monday, March 22, 2010

Pretty Much the Best Blended Salsa of All Time

Blended Salsa

As a counterpart to the ever-delicious Pretty Much the Best Hummus of All Time, I bring to you Pretty Much the Best Blended Salsa of All Time.

As a general hater of anything that includes raw onions, the only way I can truly enjoy salsa is in its blended form. I've tried many a time to make blended salsas at home, with raw tomatoes, only to end up with grainy, mushy, and sickly orange concoctions. While researching salsa recipes on the internet, I found a recipe where the author used canned tomatoes for his salsa.

Canned tomatoes? OH THE HORROR! Say it ain't so! But it is so. And they make the best blended salsa you will ever put in your mouth. Swallow your authenticity-related pride and make this salsa. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Pretty Much the Best Blended Salsa of All Time
Makes a large jar full.

1 28 oz can whole tomatoes, slightly drained {how much liquid you keep is up to you, I like to keep about half}
1/2 bunch cilantro leaves
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 or 3 Guajillo or other dried chiles, rehydrated in hot water for 20 minutes
juice from 2 limes
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped

Blend everything in your food processor or blender until it reaches your desired consistency. Taste and add salt as necessary. Store in a glass jar in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. ooh--made it today--and everyone was gobbling it down! I'm never tried using any of the Mexican dried chilies before...thanks for inspiring me! This will make me much less frightened to use them when we move back to Mexico permanently! (You would die to see the rows and rows of dried peppers you can buy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful! I think I may try it with some fire roasted diced tomatoes I've had hanging around for a bit.

    ReplyDelete