Sneakily delicious dishes that bring all the omnivores to the yard! Look for the cookbook in 2010!

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Roasted Radishes and Broccoli



I am a major proponent of roasting vegetables. The caramelization that happens during the process of roasting brings out all the inherent sweetness in the vegetables, without adding much extra fat.

I was in the grocery store one day, looking at the radishes and thinking "Radishes, you are the stupidest vegetable ever. What are you good for?" As I picked up some broccoli {my favorite vegetable to roast}, it dawned on me...maybe radishes would improve if I roasted them! I grabbed a couple of bundles, and went home to try my experiment.

I preheated the oven to 400F, tossed the radishes and broccoli in a drizzle of olive oil and a few grinds of pepper and salt, spread them out on the pan, and roasted them until they were starting to caramelize and brown on the outside {about 20 - 30 minutes, stirring several times throughout}.

The resulting radishes were nutty and full of a mild, sweet flavor. Alas I had finally found a use for that pesky no-good vegetable!

A word of slight warning: the texture is not what you might expect. In the roasting process, the radishes lose all of their denseness, and the result is an internal texture that is a touch on the mushy side. The Ninjahusband found it kind of weird, but I didn't mind it at all.

Give roasting a try...try it with any vegetable! I bet you'd be hard-pressed to find something that was not improved by a little olive oil and salt and a brief stay in your oven.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I haven't roasted many varieties of vegetables, but every time I try it with something new I am pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm. i will try it!

    radishes are also good along side mexican dishes, and my favorite way to eat them is in romanian style tomato salad.

    ReplyDelete