Sneakily delicious dishes that bring all the omnivores to the yard! Look for the cookbook in 2010!
Monday, March 15, 2010
Vegan Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
I don't feel like this recipe really needs any introduction; who doesn't love enchiladas? Especially creamy, cheesy, spicy enchiladas? Mmm, I'm getting hungry again just thinking about it.
This recipe was inspired by this recipe on VegWeb. After some major modifications, here is the deliciousness I came up with:
Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
Makes 1 9x13" Pan
4 oz "chik'n strips", or equivalent frozen, thawed and drained tofu (not silken!), diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 poblano chile, seeded and diced
1/2 zucchini, diced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 potato, peeled and diced small
1 cup corn, canned or frozen
1 cup black beans
1/2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1 cup diced tomatoes, canned or fresh
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
6 oz Tofutti "Better Than Sour Cream", or to taste
1 tbsp chipotle in adobo, pureed
1 16 oz. can green or red enchilada sauce, or I like this recipe, with the spices majorly amped
1/2 recipe Favorite Cheese Sauce, found in this post
9 - 12 6" corn tortillas, softened in the microwave
lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, guacamole, black olives etc for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 500F.
2. Toss the chile, zucchini, onion, potato, and corn in olive oil. Spread on a foil-lined baking pan. Roast until starting to brown, stirring several times throughout. The amount of time you roast will depend on how dark you like your vegetables.
3. Turn the oven down to 350F. In a large bowl, toss together "chik'n" or tofu, roasted vegetables, beans, cilantro, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, sour cream, and chipotle in adobo until well combined. This is your filling.
4. Spread a small amount of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13" pan. Dip each tortilla in the enchilada sauce, stuff with filling, roll, and place seam-side down in the pan. Continue until you run out of tortillas/filling, or until your pan is full.
5. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over top, and carefully spread the Favorite Cheese Sauce over that. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes, until cheese sauce is slightly browned and bubbly.
6. Serve immediately, topped with tomato, green onion, lettuce, guacamole, black olives, or whatever you'd like.