Sneakily delicious dishes that bring all the omnivores to the yard! Look for the cookbook in 2010!

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Asian Peanut Slaw



I'm not much of a salad girl, I'll confess. It's not that I don't like them, it's more that I feel the return on investment for my time spent making them is sub par. One exception is coleslaw. I love coleslaw in all its forms. I'll admit it. It makes me sad to see all those little ramekins headed back to the kitchen at restaurants, neglected on the plates of people who see it as a "lesser food form". Coleslaw is DYNAMITE.

My favorite coleslaw variations definitely tend toward the exotic. Okay, so Asian coleslaw isn't exactly exotic, but I can pretend, right? This is my new favorite, fresh shredded vegetables, crunchy noodles, and salty peanuts in a tangy sweet & sour peanut sauce that just will not quit. It is even good enough to bear the Ninjahusband stamp of approval. And because I'm so nice and fabulous and cute and everything, I'll share the recipe with you here and now.

Asian Peanut Slaw
Serves 8

2 packages of Ramen noodles, spice packets discarded {yuck!}, crushed
1 bag of cabbage coleslaw mix {14 oz}
1 carrot, grated
3 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
cilantro, for garnish

1. In a large bowl, mix together the noodles, cabbage mix, carrot, and green onions.
2. In a separate small bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and peanut butter.
3. Pour the dressing down over the cabbage mixture, add the peanuts {reserving a few for garnish} and toss until well coated.
4. You can eat this right away, but it's even better if you can let it sit in the fridge for an hour or two. Whenever you decide to serve it, garnish it with the reserved peanuts and cilantro.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love asian slaws & salads. The addition of ramen noodles is great to for different textures!

    ReplyDelete