Sneakily delicious dishes that bring all the omnivores to the yard! Look for the cookbook in 2010!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Panfried Veggie Cutlet over Jasmine rice with Pan Gravy



A relatively quick lunch today. I had some veggie cutlets in the fridge that needed to be used, so I breaded them in panko and pan fried them, and served them over Jasmine rice with a quick pan gravy.

Upon telling a friend about my lunch, I realized that not everyone knows how to whip up a gravy in a pinch. I had very few ingredients on hand today, and I was still able to make something delicious. Here is the basic gravy "pattern" that I use:

Basic Gravy
Makes about 2 cups.

1 small onion, diced
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
3 tbsp flour
2 cups hot water with 1 tbsp Better Than Bullion "No Beef" stock paste dissolved in it

1. Heat 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and sautee until golden brown.
2. Add the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil, and whisk in the flour to make a bubbly paste. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes.
3. Pouring slowly, incorporate the broth mixture with a whisk, making sure to stir constantly to avoid lumps.
4. Bring to a boil to thicken, and simmer until ready to use.

At this point you can add any seasonings you want. Today I added a bit of rosemary and some garlic powder. Also, if you have them on hand, mushrooms are a great addition to this gravy. Just add them at the start, with the onion.

This is really so versatile. It can be made with any stock you want {although I like to make sure it's a "strong" stock}, and any aromatics {onions, garlic, shallots etc}.

No comments:

Post a Comment